You Don't Wanna Watch The Superbowl (EPIC COMPETITION RANT)

Posted by imelda sovzky on Sunday, February 5, 2012

You wanna play Tecmo Super Bowl.



Really tired of how everyone is already ruling out the Patriots.  No one likes the Patriots because they're the "scumbag evil team" but the Giants are all that is "good and holy" (Eli Manning).  I appreciate the Giants for beating the 49ers and I think Eli is a pretty cool guy but that's it.  Overrated--go Pats.  Besides the now-arrogant G-men already proclaimed a SB victory ahead of time?  Who's full of themselves now?

I'll fill this post up later once the Superbowl is over.  I have a shiatload of homework to do to (again)--Merry Christmas from FIEA.

Hey, you remember four years ago before the NFCCG in Green Bay when they refused to air Seinfeld because it was Eli's favorite TV show (as is mine too)?  Remember the mutiny when Jerry Seinfeld himself gave Eli all those DVDs and therefore Eli went on to beat the Packers & the undefeated Patriots in SB42?  So I hope you didn't deny Eli his Seinfeld (for all of our sakes too) because if you did, then he will get pissed and go out and win, sorry.

------------

EDIT: And here we go for the Super Bowl post-game commentary.  First of all, I'm pissed at the results.  The Giants are the Patriots' kryptonite, nuff said.  And I assume I'll get a lot of flak for supporting that team--just about everyone around me supported the Giants and even my mom was shocked to hear I supported the "horrible" Tom Brady (not him, the team in general).  And the commercials sucked too.  Mostly car & beer commercials.  Drink & drive.  Oh, and Doritos too.  And Madonna at the half-time show was just messed up but a bit entertaining in a shameful sense.

But anyway, back to the Patriots.  I really gotta feel bad that the team lost two Superbowls to the same team, plus another regular season game at home.  Which seems awfully familiar to real life--some guys kick your ass and ride off into the sunset.  It's depressing.  Pssh, who am I kidding...the Saints would've wiped the floor of either of these teams but they shot themselves in the foot vs. the 49ers.  That makes me more sick than anything!  LSU too, you're not off the hook, either.

Once again, back to the sports & real-life comparisons.  In this cruel world we live in, you gotta fight & compete with others.  Trying to get jobs, to make money, to win at sports and video games, to get your dreams to come true.  I've won a few but also have lost a lot (usually in video games).  Usually to get something means denying someone else of that very thing.  That's just the way it is.  It means trying harder to get what you want which brings the best out of us all, even though you may feel utterly devastated and/or humiliated when you lose.

I mean, Good Lord, let's take a look at game design.  This whole FIEA nonsense with the capstone pitches.  It's "Avant-Garde Racing" versus Plushy Knight (teddy bear with a sword) and who wins?  Plushy Knight.  Then we go on--a good racing game versus Call of Duty?  Need for Speed?  Mass Effect?  Oops, watch out for the vertical slices!!!  Racing games are "bitch" games that bite the dust--we need more FPS and adventure games, time to rake in the cash while you knuckle-dragging programmers sit in your little cubicle and rake in the dough for us!!!

At the end of the day, you have to roll up your sleeves and start slinging punches.  And you may lose many, many, many, MANY times but you have to keep trying.  Cause that's all you can do.

I don't know if I'll ever get to work on a racing game besides Super Sprint.  The game industry is wwaaaaaayyyyy too big for me to even make a splash in the whirlpool.  But I believe that God will take you where you want to go if you have faith.  And I believe that in the end, whether or not Daytona 3 gets made and the game industry as we know it is saved or if I fail miserably, spending decades only to come up with a few miniature racing games that get brushed under the rug and gaming is run into the ground by the likes of Bobby Kotick, EA, online DRM's, DLC, gritty FPSes and adventure games and all that crap, that I will be able to keep my head held high and knew I took the hit and did what I could.



If only I could summon the energy to actually pull through.  I get burned out way too easily.  But we all have our weakness we must overcome.  WE MUST SUCCEED!!!  Shit...it's not about me, it's about all of us!!  The game industry in general lays in the balance!!  BUT WE WILL SUCCEED ANYWAY, I KNOW THIS!!  The only thing that matters is who will be on board when that happens...Sega, FIEA students, you guys out there in the audience??  Who will be by my side??  And now I'm getting way over my head here so I'll leave you with this:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.


-Theodore Roosevelt


{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment